[Event] John Wesley didn't have Wi-Fi
I had the opportunity to attend a workshop in the Methodist Church Synod of North West England, exploring how we can engage people in an increasingly digital world with the church.
What inspired me was how many of the principles discussed are not unique to churches; they are equally relevant to online marketing and digital engagement in general. Thanks to Samuel Rimmer for hosting the workshop and getting us thinking about how we connect with people in a digital world.
The key ideas I took away: The website and social media are often the first things a person encounters before they ever visit a church. They should make the church easy to discover, easy to understand, and easy to approach.
Website — The Front Door
Is your website newcomer-friendly?
The website is often the first impression of the church.
A newcomer should be able to quickly answer: When? Where? What should I expect?
Ask yourself:
Can I find the service time within 30 seconds?
Can I immediately find the address, email and phone number?
Do I know what to expect on my first visit?
Can I see what the church community is like?
Does the website look active and up to date?
Keep it simple
The Jam Experiment illustrates a useful principle: Too many choices can become overwhelming.
Do and Don't
Good Examples
https://sojournsterlingheights.com/
https://www.bramhallmethodists.org.uk/
Social Media Platform
Don't build another notice board
Avoid using social media mainly for:
Event announcements
Weekly notices
Repeated advertisements
Links to information elsewhere
Announcements have a place, but they should not be the whole strategy.
Show people, not just programmes
People want to see:
People
Relationships
Community
Real moments
Show photographs and videos of people talking, serving, worshipping, eating together, helping others and having fun.
Tell a story: Stories create connection. Announcements provide information.
Use richer content: Link < Text < Photo < Video < Live
Algorithm rewards conversations more than announcements
Social media is social.
Don't just post and leave. When people comment: Reply. Ask questions. Continue the conversation.
Timing
Don't post simply because an idea has just occurred to you. Think about when your audience is online.
Potential opportunities:
Early morning: breakfast / before work or school
Early evening: commuting / after work or school
You don't need to be online at that moment. You can schedule the post in advance.
Start small: 15 minutes. Once a week. Every week.
Create something simple. Post it consistently. See what people respond to. Improve gradually.
The 80/20 Rule
The Most Important Point: People
Digital is only the front door. But when they actually arrive, people make the difference. Interact with people in person.
Comments