My YTD Book List

I went to Commercial Press (Chinese: 商務印書館) bookstore in Tsim Sha Tsui because I missed a bus last night. I attended a seminar of Leung Man Tao (Chinese: 梁文道) held in the bookstore. The seminar's topic was "Whether there is any method of Reading?" (Chinese: 讀書有沒有方法?). He said that the reading method of many Hong Kong people was target oriented while he preferred targetless style. Unlike many readers, he enjoyed discovering questions in reading instead of answers.

I think my style of travel as well as that of reading is similar to his. Triggered by a simple reason, I picked a book up and continued reading it. It's time to review what I have read for a year.

Lettera a una professoressa


The book title means "Letter To a Teacher" in Italian. It was authored by a group of students in Barbiana, a rural town of Italy. Leung Man Tao recommended this book, which was authored by students who were entitled as bad students under then education system, to criticize the quality of Hong Kong students.

After I read the book, I don't agree with Mr Leung's comment. I agree with the surprisingly high quality of the report criticizing then Italian education system. Yet the report was not so high that Hong Kong students could not produce. What we miss is a good and brave teacher or guide like Lorenzo Milani. Furthermore, they need encouragement.

The World Is Flat



This book was a souvenir of my sister. She bought this book in Eslitebooks (Chinese: 誠品書店) in Taipei.

The author, Thomas L. Friedman, is so optimistic about the globalization powered by the rise of China and India as well as the Internet and various Web 2.0 services. This book can be either a guidebook of mining the opportunity of the global business or a warning letter to the Protectionism.

Have all forecasts mentioned in the beginning of Internet Era be realized? There is a long long way to run.

Seven Pillars of Wisdom




I read this book because I appreciated the movie Lawrence of Arabia, directed by David Lean. The movie is a great work, so is the book.

The book does not only show the talent, in both military and literature, of T.E. Lawrence himself, but also records the unique diversification of Arabian and the wisdom of British diplomacy. I enjoyed reading this book, although the book is deadly long (I spent around 10 weeks to read it).

This book is also the blueprint of my work: American Dream Visit.

Freakonomics



I picked this book up when I walked by a bookstore by chance. I wondered how the author, Dr. Steven Levitt, explained some social phenomenon by economics. This book gave me another point of view, although I don't think that it is an absolutely right angle.

The Intelligent Investor



The author, Benjamin Graham, is known as the teacher of Warren Buffet. And this book has been the fundamental textbook of investment professionals.

A well-known idea inside this book is Margin of Safety. More than that, I have found his methodology of investment: 1. Scientific finding, 2. Rational reasoning, 3. Objective testing. Although right reasoning sometimes leads wrong result, an intelligent investor should keep his well tested method, otherwise he would be led by the market instead.

Invest to Last



The author, Tony Measor, is known as the Warren Buffet of the East. His well-done job is the recommendation of buying HSBC stock during the unstable period of Hong Kong society. This book briefs his life of a British in the former British colony and his philosophy of investment, mainly his view about HSBC (HKex: 5) and Manulife HKEx: 945).

The Money Master



This book is not the Chinese version of the great English book with the same name, but the author, Tony Tsoi (Chinese: 蔡東豪), appreciated the great book and thought that the investment professionals whom he interviewed could be named as the Money Master.

The content of his book has no surprise. Yet so is the fact of successful investment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Event: Developer Productivity Engineering: What's in it for me?

Ethical Hacking 101

Mark Six Analyst